Why train your dog?
There are so, so many reasons:
- Our area has lots of opportunities to share great family activities with our pets. If your dog isn’t ready for “prime time”, I can help you get him there! We all want a dog who’s a great family member who loves us and obeys our rules: One who doesn’t soil the house, get into the trash, embarrass us in public, knock over visitors at the door or drag us down the street on our walks. But how can we explain our human rules to them? One of the basic things we know about dogs, is that they don’t speak English (or Spanish, or French, or Chinese..) they speak
DOG! While we learn though our spoken and written languages, they learn about the world through their senses, from actual cues in their environment; by observing us through our body language, by smelling things we can’t smell, listening to sounds we can’t hear, being outdoors in all seasons or just sleeping in the sun. This means we can use our dogs’ amazing sensory awareness to teach them what we want them to know, to better understand and live in our world. Showing them, and letting them use their amazing senses to learn, is always be better than telling them! Positive, private training teaches your dog to listen reliably to you, to follow your directions and to know that doing what you ask is what’s best for him; he is safe and loved in your family.
All services begin with an initial, in-home consultation, to learn more about your goals and your dogs’ challenges, and use force-free, dog-friendly methods to solve your “dog problems”.
Gentle, Effective Dog Training and Behavior Services:
Chose one of these coaching programs if you enjoy working with your dog and learning how to train and communicate better:
- Personalized Training and Behavior Modification plans include an initial 8 week plan and additional assessment midway through to adjust to your dogs’ progress.
- “Good manners” basic training to improve your dogs’ current performance.
- New Dog 101: 6-week or 8 week sessions, to teach all the basics.
- Single-session problem-solving (like walking without pulling, coming when called and potty training)
- AKC Canine Good Citizen training and testing. Focusing on polite social behavior when out in public.
- Treibball classes and workshops
- Email and phone consultations
- Remote counseling sessions through video and Skype, for out-of-area clients Chose one of these programs if your time is limited, and you’d prefer:
- Help with new pet adoption/selection
- Professional Day Training Sessions: Sessions include the in-home consultation, followed by 3 sessions a week; two sessions with the trainer and one with you to transfer the skills, or 3 sessions with the trainer and one with you, to transfer the skills. Let me show you how to make your dog the best he can be! Send me an email through the contact form on the right, or call (240) 780-8408 and tell me what’s happening with your dog.
Discounts are available for fosters/adopters of recognized MD/VA rescue groups, active and retired military, first responders and senior citizens.